Monday, November 16, 2015

Mulan



I chose the song " I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan. Over the weekend I was thinking about the previous films we watched, and I made the connection between Whale Rider and Mulan when considering gender roles. In Mulan this song depicts the change she goes through during her training prior to war. The lyrics " i'll make a man out of you", start to explain the gender inequalities for Mulan. Mulan knew she could only protect her family  if she pretended to be a man. This song is the changing point in the film from Mulan going from a more "fragile woman" to a woman who can " fight like a man." In the film we feel a sense of empowerment as Mulan puts her insecurities behind. This is similar to Whale Rider, when Paikea tries to fight with the boys to try and become the leader of her tribe despite what the ancestors would think of this. These connections are what I wish to later expand on in my myth explorations.

1 comment: